These Earth Day Lesson Plans will help you instill awareness of our environment and an appreciation for it. Of course you can celebrate our earth any time by using the children's curiousity and exploration of our world as a spring board for great valuable teaching moments.
Big ideas, concepts and values:
1. Awareness and appreciation for the world's environment.
2. Our actions affect the environment.
3. We can make a difference.
4. One world - We are all in this together.
1. Our world is made out of different parts. What are they?
2. How can our action make the world a better place?
3. What are some things we can do to make a difference?
In class Activities:
Story Time: - This is a fantastic book by Dr. Seuss that deals with pollution.
You will hear by good friend Debbie's voice in this video explaining the children in an easy and creative way the importance of taking care of our world.
Put some milk in an aluminum pan. Add food coloring and dish soap.
Arts and Crafts - Group Project:
Working together in teams to build a sense of community the children used various art materials to represent the earth's rain forest, desert, sea and north pole.
Community in Action:
Discuss the 4Rs - Reduse, Reuse, Recycle and Recovery.
Operation Clean Up - Find a green spot you visit often (maybe a playground near by or even the school's back yard) and collect the pieces of paper and garbage from the floor.